Den nyeste oppdateringen til Rust har for alvor endre grunnpilarene for spillet, for både erfarings- og levelsystemet har blitt fjernet. Utvikler Facepunch Studios følte at systemene tok spillet i gal retning, og det er derfor de har valgt å skrote dem.
"The XP system mainly sucked because it completely changed the feel of Rust as a sandbox. It was no longer about new encounters and enjoying your time in the game world, but instead about how to level up as quickly as you can. And when that finally happened, the game immediately became boring."
"New items we haven't even thought of yet would need to be hacked into certain levels, which would cause a never ending balance nightmare and item bloat (it was already ridiculous when you'd reach a level and have 12 things unlocked). Eventually we'd like to never have to wipe and just have decay and resource management take care of the server, and XP was not compatible with this goal without all kinds of workarounds and hacks forced in like some sort of prestige system. And lastly, it removed the "making lemonade out of lemons" feel Rust had, where you'd stumble across a bucket helmet and crossbow blueprint and that would be your load-out for the foreseeable future."
I tillegg har følgende endringer trådt i kraft:
- No more locked items, no more blueprints, everything craftable from the start
- Items beyond basics (bow/burlap/furnace/eoka etc) require some kind of component
- Components are items which are uncraftable and only found in the world
- Radiation is back (albeit in a minor fashion)
- North/South division is NOT a thing (yet)